Monday, November 28, 2011

Hiivaleipa (Finnish Round Loaf)

Some years ago, I picked up a used book at a library support book sale.  It's old.  You can tell how old it is by looking at the original price on the cover:  $1.95.


Actually, it's not as old as I thought it would be, which just goes to show I have no idea how book prices have changed over the years.  This printing is from 1973, when I was . . . oh, who cares?  I was 4.

It's a Sunset cookbook, entitled Sunset Cookbook of Breads, and it is actually a nice collection of recipes from around the world, starting with the very basics.  (Although, strangely enough, it does not include a Southern-style biscuit recipe . . . No matter.  I have at least two other books with that one.)

At any rate, while looking for potentially appetizing recipes to try, I stumbled on Hiivaleipa, a Finnish bread.  This interested me for a few reasons:  1) it's Scandinavian, and I've been having fun with Scandinavian stuff lately, 2) my sister's husband served a mission for our church in Finland, several years ago, 3) it is round, and 4) it uses rye flour.  (Actually, the recipe can use whole wheat, but I thought it would be more interesting with rye.)


 Time for the ingredients!


1 1/2 cups hot water
2 Tablespoons butter or shortening (I used butter.)
1 Tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1 package yeast, active dry or compressed (With my yeast, that's a little less than a Tablespoon.)
1/2 cup lukewarm water (for the yeast) 
3 cups whole wheat or rye flour
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (or more . . . Naturally, the actual number will vary depending on the humidity of the room and whether you are mixing by hand or with a stand mixer.)
Oil (to grease the bowl in which you will be rising your bread)

Mix the yeast in the the 1/2 cup lukewarm water and allow to stand for about 5 minutes.

If you are using a stand mixer with a bread hook, measure the 1 1/2 cups hot water into the bowl and add the butter, sugar, and salt.  Mix it up a bit, which will both help the butter to get soft (probably won't melt all the way) and help it to cool down a little.  Add about 2 cups of the rye flour and mix.  Add the yeast mixture and mix, then put in the rest of the rye flour.  Add all-purpose flour and mix until the dough starts cleaning up the sides of the mixer as you go.  For more detailed directions on mixing a yeast bread in a stand mixture, see Mixing a Yeast Bread In a Stand Mixer.  When it's finished mixing, add a little oil in the bowl and allow the mixer to turn the dough around the bowl once to grease it, then remove the bread hook.  Twirl the bread dough around to make sure it's nicely oiled, then flip it upside down, with the oily side up.

If you are mixing by hand, roll up your sleeves.  Measure the 1 1/2 cups hot water into a large mixing bowl, then stir in the butter, sugar, and salt, and allow it to cool to lukewarm.  Add the yeast mixture.  Stir in the rye flour with a wooden spoon and beat it for about a minute.  Add 2 cups of the all-purpose flour and blend.  Turn it out on a floured board (the other 1/2 cup flour) and knead it for about 10 minutes, adding more flour if necessary, or until the surface is "satiny" (according to the directions . . . how is a bread dough surface "satiny"?  I'd say until it's smooth and has a dull shine, perhaps, but a better measure of finished kneading is whether or not it the dough holds it shape fairly well and doesn't stick to your fingers overly much.)  The directions in the book say to place the dough in a greased bowl and brush the top with salad oil, but I think that's silly.  It's too easy to miss places on the dough when you're brushing.  I prefer, instead, to put some oil in a bowl, then place the bread dough on it, twirl it around, greasing both the bowl and the dough in the process, then flip the dough upside down, so the oiled side is up.

Before rising.

Cover whichever bowl you are using for your rise with a slightly damp cloth and allow it to rise in a warm place until about doubled.  For this recipe, it can take about an hour.

After rising.

Punch down the dough and knead it lightly on a lightly floured board, then divide the dough in half.  Shape each half into a round loaf and place it on a lightly greased baking sheet.  Press each round down with your hands until the dough is about an inch thick.

After shaping, before second rise.

Cover again with a damp cloth (or damp paper towels) and allow to rise about 45 minutes or until nearly doubled.

After the second rise.

Bake the loaves in a 400 degree Fahrenheit oven for about 25-30 minutes or until the crust is lightly browned.

Smells so good!!

This loaf can be either sliced or cut into wedges which are then cut in half and buttered.  For this first fresh loaf, I decided to cut wedges for my junior taste-testers.

The verdict?  All four junior taste-testers thoroughly enjoyed their wedges with butter, eating them down to the last crumb.  (Me, too.)  It was nice to have a flavorful bread with a bit of variety in grain, for a change.  The next day, we sliced the remaining loaf and served it as an evening snack, along with meats and cheeses, to the family, including the senior taste-tester, who has declared the bread to be a "keeper".

It occurred to me, which hadn't really occurred to me before, that this bread might benefit by adding some humidity in the baking process.  According to what I have researched, the humidity in Finland is substantially higher than our desert climate.  (No real surprise there.)  Next time, I think I will spritz water into the oven at the start or put a dish of water on the lower rack.  Could end up with something even better.

3 comments:

  1. I've been making this bread for 37 years. Shortly after getting out of the Air Force and doing my own cooking, I decided I had to get better at making a few things, and bought this Sunset bread book at a discount store. Flipping the pages, and doubting my resolve, I landed on this one, which seemed to be the simplest: no scalding milk. It worked the first time, and the next 300 times, too. I usually use whole wheat flour, and oil instead of butter, and throw in a teaspoon of vinegar and another of whisky to simulate the flavors of extended fermentation. This stuff takes only a little more than two hours from start to finish, which is great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been looking for one of the sunset bread books published in the early 70's (for my grandma). She lost hers in a house fire. Her version had a recipe for sourdough limpa muffins and for sourdough apple sauce donuts. Does this book have those recipes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the delay; I was travelling . . .

      My book does have a recipe for sourdough limpa muffins, but I do not see a sourdough apple sauce donut recipe. Perhaps it is found in a later edition? Mine is the thirteenth printing, in April 1973, but the copyright is 1966. Good luck!

      Delete